Lay is the main dancer in EXO-M.
He is an exceptional dancer, with skills comparable to EXO-K’s Kai.
While he may seem cool and charismatic on stage, off-stage he is actually very humorous and playful.
He is considered the cooking ‘umma’ in EXO-M, like D.O is in EXO-K.
When he’s bored, he’ll start randomly cooking. He is very driven, being able to train for long hours, sometimes for almost 24 hours.
He loves music, and is honing his skills in writing lyrics and composing songs.
While the other members dream of becoming world stars, he dreams of becoming a producer later on in life.
Biography – Member Profile and Facts:
- Stage Name: Lay
- Real Name: Zhang Yi Xing
- Nickname: Xing Tuo, Xing Xing
- Position: Lead Dancer, Vocalist
- Born: October 7th, 1991
- Astrological Zodiac Sign: Libra
- Personality: Humble, easy-going, funny, hard-working, mischievous at times, forgetful.
- Family: Grandparents, whom he lived with when he was a child.
- Height: 177cm or 5 feet 9 inches
- Weight: 60kg or 132lbs
- Blood Type: A
- Education: Hunan Normal University High School
- Super Power (Badge): Healing (Unicorn)
- Habit: He likes to sleep on the living room’s hard floors. He says that the temperature is cooler there and that sleeping in a different location allows him to dream different dreams.
- Favorite Foods: Tidbits, junk food, anything he cooks.
- Favorite Hobbies: Cooking, dancing, playing piano and guitar, playing on the computer, mastering the Korean language, composing songs.
- Favorite Color: Purple, black.
- Favorite Music: Every music genre.
- Role Models: N/A
- Celebrities they’re close with: N/A
Lay Fun Facts:
- He has lived in Korea for 4-5 years, but he still feels his grasp of the Korean language is weak.
- He loves cooking. Like D.O is the cook of EXO-K, Lay is the cook of EXO-M. If there’s nothing to do, he’ll cook.
- He loves eating fruits.
- He’s considered an “all-rounder”. He’s great at a lot of things.
- He says he likes to focus on progressing steadily through lots of different areas, including composing, writing lyrics, singing, playing the guitar, playing the piano, and more.
- He likes to write lyrics and compose music.
- His compositions are inspired by many things, including things he sees on TV shows, movies, video games, the news, etc.
- When creating music, he writes the lyrics first and then composes the melody second.
- He has a computer full of his own original music. He hopes to show fans his music one day.
- In SHINee’s 2010 concert tour, he briefly filled in as Jonghyun’s dance replacement.
- He’s Chen’s roommate in Korea, and Luhan’s roommate in China.
- He was originally supposed to be EXO-M’s leader, but he was replaced by Kris.
- On stage, he’s strong and charismatic, but off the stage, he is humorous and playful.
- He won 3rd place in 2005 TV Star Academy (Hunan Economics TV show).
- He can practice for a very long time. At one point, he arrived at SM Entertainment in the early morning, and didn’t live until the dawn of the next day. Sometimes he goes by with only eating one meal.
- He can spend 3 hours at the gym alone.
- His ideal type is someone who is cute and filial. Has long hair, is shorter than him.
- Under the right circumstances, he will make the first move on a girl.
- He says that he would do romantic things for his girlfriend, like the things you see on TV Show/Movies. I.E. create a heart shape on the floor by using candles.
- He is a bit slow to react. An example would be if someone says a joke and everyone else is laughing, Lay would laugh about a minute later (after he understands the joke).
- In 2008, Lay was cast into SM Entertainment through one of their global audition.
- He arrived at SM the same day as Luhan. That’s how they became close.
- He used to be a local child star in China, making appearances at many variety shows.
- He was officially introduced as an EXO member on January 17th, 2012.
- He’s very mischievous. He knows about Luhan’s weird obsession with his bed, so he tries to push Luhan’s limits.
- He wants to be a producer in the future.
- He likes Donald Duck.
- In 2015, SM Entertainment established Lay’s own personal studio in China so that he can personally take charge of all of his promotions over there.
- Lay says he can’t leave the house without his face mask.
- He says that if he weren’t in EXO, he would’ve liked to be a student.
- He says contrary to what everyone says, he isn’t calm and kind all the time. He says that he gets irritated at times and it accumulates until he finally blows up and shocks people.
- He wants to raise the popularity of Chinese music all around the world.
- He says that he’s very busy, he doesn’t even have time to watch TV shows that everyone recommends.
- He says that in 5-10 years, he should be looking for a girlfriend, or looking to get married.
- He has dreams of leading the Chinese music industry.
- He says that he learned how to polite and full of manners thanks to being raised by his grandparents.
- He grew up with his mother showing him clips of Michael Jackson performances. That’s what started his interest in dancing.
- He says that one of his primary motivation for becoming such a good dancer was to prove wrong all of those teachers who looked down on him due to his bad results in the past.
- He says his top 3 qualities are: Being grateful, being a hard worker, and being talented.
- Lay say that he has zero aegyo because he’s very manly.
- He says that he likes soda, especially coca cola, with his meals. Or else he won’t eat.
- He really likes showering. He can’t go 10 hours without showering or else he’ll be very uncomfortable.
- He’s a huge fan of Stephen Chow’s movies, especially Shaolin Soccer.
- He has huge respect for Lee Soo Man, and would love to have dinner with him.
- He says that he prays for the other members a lot, which is kind of like his way of using his “healing” powers.