“I think there are a lot of depressed people lately. If I could offer my own opinion, I personanly don’t understand why people get things like depression or insomnia. I hope everyone surrounds themselves with good people, so that you’re always filled with good thoughts. I hope you all look at me and always find a reason to laugh.”
He meant well, but his comments caused huge backlash towards him.
He made an apology post on his Instagram. Here is a summary:
“Hello, this is Baekhyun-hyun.
On December 30th, I would like to apologize for the comments I made at the fansign event.
I’m actually scared of depression these days and I was just overreacting.
I was very worried about it and I had a lot to say about it to my fan.
I really did want my fan to be happy.
Depression is an urgent issue. I wanted to do something more to help my fans.
I wanted to bring cheer to my fans, but I was careless with my comments.
I wanted to deliver my full thoughts, but I didn’t have much time, so I rushed my statement and it caused a lot of misunderstandings.
I regret what I had said about depression.
I just wanted to be strong for everyone.
I want to apologize to all of you. I am sorry to everyone who have been hurt by what I said to this fan.
The future will be a black and white one in the future.”
We understand that Baekhyun just wanted to be a positive beacon for all of his fans and everyone out there that suffers from depression.
Everything was just misunderstood.
We hope that this all blows over soon.
Here is what netizens have been saying about Baekhyun’s comments, translated by NetizenBuzz:
Source: Joongang Ilbo via Nate
At his fan signing, “I think there are a lot of depressed people these days. If I could give my opinion, I personally don’t know why people get things like depression and insomnia. I hope everyone surrounds themselves with good people so that you’re always thinking good thoughts. I hope all of you look at me and always find a reason to laugh.”
1. [+845, -33] Does he have a brain? How can he say something like this when his own labelmate senior commit suicide over depression? So many people in his company shed so many tears and suffered such sadness over his death. He watched all of that, and he still dared to say this? Any word of hate would be lost on him, but I’ll say this: I hope you suffer from depression. I hope these words come back to you like a boomerang. Suffer from the words you just said.
2. [+761, -24] He seems so thoughtless… It has barely been a month since your senior left for heaven. At least show some consideration…
3. [+682, -19] It has barely been two weeks since his labelmate senior made such a decision… he must not have a brain to be saying this.
4. [+77, -3] “I don’t know why anyone gets depression” ^^ well don’t be so sure yourself because there are a lot of cases where people start suffering from it randomly. Please shove your opinion in the trash. How can you even say that when you lost your own senior to it?
5. [+71, -2] I could already tell from his award speech how full of cockiness and arrogance he’s full of.
6. [+69, -1] He’s basically putting Jonghyun down saying there was no one good around him
7. [+65, -1] “I hope all of you look at me and always find a reason to laugh” ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ Yeah I’m laughing at how dumb you sound
8. [+61, -1] I heard he even told a fan suffering from depression to go get depression medication prescribed ㅋㅋㅋ does he think he’s a doctor or something?
9. [+56, -1] Baekhyun fans, please don’t try to bury this using your weird logic. I lost my own friend to depression, how can you think what he said was something to brush off? My friend kept cutting back on her medication before eventually being hospitalized and then committing suicide. Please do not speak out on things you don’t have knowledge on… seriously…
10. [+41, -3] Finally this news hit the media… fans need to stop shielding this
11. [+37, -0] Seems like he wanted to say something encouraging to people with depression… I understand his intention but it’s better to stay quiet if you’re not able to deliver the meaning of your words effectively
12. [+33, -1] Is SM not managing these kids ㅡㅡ
13. [+33, -2] Soon we’ll see the dire efforts of his fans try to shield this mess
14. [+31, -3] Are you attacking your own senior right now??? Are you attacking Jonghyun?? Do you think Jonghyun suffered from depression because he chose to?? Because he didn’t surround himself with good people??? Please think before you speak…
15. [+30, -1] I’ve seriously been a fan of him for 5 years but I lost all respect for him after he said this