YG Entertainment has just crushed the hopes and dreams of all of the trainees that were set to debut in their “Mix Nine” group.
YG met with all of the agencies of the trainees that were supposed to debut in Mix Nine and decided to change up the contract terms of the groups’ debut last minute.
Instead of the original 4-month debut plan, which included a world tour, YG wanted to sign every trainee onto a 3-year contract.
3-years… that’s an incredibly long time to sign with a company that’s not even your main company.
The agencies tried to sway YG back to the original debut plan, but they wouldn’t budge.
Ultimately, YG decided to just cancel Mix Nine’s debut altogether.
And what timing too.
The company dropped this news just as JYP is being destroyed by the media because of his relations to a religious cult.
YG probably expects this news about Mix Nine to be buried.
We feel bad for the Mix Nine trainees. They worked really hard and spent months thinking that they’d be going on a world tour and promoting their image.
Now they have nothing to show for their participation in that reality show.
Granted the TV show didn’t do well… like at all, and didn’t reach the popularity of Produce 101, it’s still really scummy for YG Entertainment to pull something like this on the winners/participants of their own reality TV competition.
Here are what netizens are saying about the situation, translated by NetizenBuzz:
Source: Sports Seoul via Nate
Agencies decided it would be difficult to comply with YG’s offer of a 3 year contract. They asked for YG to go with the original debut plan but YG denied the request.
1. [+236, -6] Poor kids
2. [+208, -11] I knew this would happen ㅋㅋㅋㅋ Yang Hyun Suk just used the other agencies to fill his own tummy ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ that character
3. [+132, -3] What was the point if you weren’t going to debut them? Hopeful torture? Sigh…
4. [+15, -3] Did they expect it to turn out like ‘Produce 101’? Sigh~ just worry about your own artists
5. [+14, -1] Wow… obviously they all turned down public broadcast audition shows because they trusted YG to carry them through… They were probably so full of hope, debuting with a YG song and hitting daebak, success…
6. [+13, -0] Yang Hyun Suk is going to hell. I’ve only seen one episode of this show but you could sense the desperation in their eyes from the artists to the managers to the CEOs of all those small agencies. I felt so bad for them. He’s going to die an early death with how much negative energy he’s stacking against himself.
7. [+13, -4] At this point, the market is so saturated that it doesn’t matter how anyone debuts, it’s going to be a struggle
8. [+10, -2] I think it’s best for both parties to give up on this. It’s not like the show’s as popular as ‘Produce 101’… the show wasn’t popular at all while it was running. How much can they do in 4 months? It’s obviously why Yang Hyun Suk offered 3 years and yet some agencies turned that down… well that’s over for them, then..
9. [+10, -3] I noticed that the kids on this show think that they’re really good but experts know that they’re not ㅋㅋ hilarious
10. [+9, -1] Yang Hyun Suk ㅋㅋㅋ basically refusing to uphold the original contract~ He should at least pay them the termination fees~ I bet you he would’ve milked them if the viewer ratings were good but he threw them out so fast ㅋㅋㅋ